gabriel rosenkoetter on 9 Feb 2004 04:45:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VoiceNet Rumors?

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 11:19:35PM -0500, Jason Costomiris wrote:
> Um..  The list of newsgroups IS mostly static.  It's not like hundreds
> of newsgroups get newgroup'd each day..  I see about 5 - 10 new groups
> pop up each week.

Oh, I don't think there's any argument about that (at least, not
from me). The groups implied from the names listed
(alt.binaries.erotica.preteen, for instance) have been around
forever. (I know, because I used to filter them when I bothered to
maintain an internal newsfeed; not because I was worried about the
feds so much as because I wasn't ever going to be interested,
they're mostly spam for porn sites anyway, and they're HUGE bandwidth
pigs. Note that I *didn't* filter alt.binaries across the board,
since feeding the content of active groups to stego detecting software
often produces interesting results.)

The point is that Voicenet's getting strung up for simply not
censoring speech. Last I checked, it wasn't their responsibility to
enforce public decency laws, nor are they responsible for the
content.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net