George Theall on 14 Feb 2004 03:50:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] SYN attacks?

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 09:34:50PM -0500, Kevin Brosius wrote:

> I haven't analyzed the incoming traffic, beyond noting the heavy load,
> doing a netstat, and seeing the kernel mention "possible SYN flooding on
> port 80".  What's the best way to check that?

Looks like you have SYN cookies enabled in your kernel and it's sending
out cookies in response to a high amount of traffic to your web server.

You said you're using iptables to block traffic, right? If you haven't
done so already, add a rule to log traffic from that host, perhaps with
rate limit.

George
--
theall@tifaware.com