Jesse Huestis on 14 Feb 2004 05:30:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Samba/DNS question

I would do the following:

from the windows box
ping 192.118.1.102

If there is no reply, you have a basic network issue

On the linux box from a terminal session. type ps -A and look for smb
if smb is not listed the service is not started.

On both boxes, look to make sure the workgroup is the same. This is different on 9x/me boxes, right click on network neighborhood, and properties. On the Linux box it is the samba config file.

Check those things.

Bill Patterson wrote:

when I enter
net use T: \\192.118.1.102\test
on my Windows box aiming at a Linux box running RH9, I get
Error 53: The computer name specified in the network path cannot be located.
Make sure you are specifying the computer name correctly, or try again later when the remote computer is available.

The box does respond to putty, so I know there is a connection of some sort.

So I know Windows is not happy.

Can you show me the error of my ways? <grin>

Bill

Jesse Huestis wrote:

One way to test to see if Windows is "happy" with seeing samba is to use the IP address and something like the following.

net use T: \\192.168.0.10\test

if you get the user name and password prompt , it should allow you to connect.