kaze on 14 Feb 2004 05:43:03 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Samba/DNS question

--> Can you show me the error of my ways? <grin>

I don't think for four machines you need WiNS or DNS. DHCP is nice however,
especially for laptops and visitors. Maybe try the SWAT wizard, and then
work backwards from how that sets up the Linux machines to set up the
Windows boxes. All the browse masters and elections and WiNS is for is to
generate the Windows Network Neighborhood view. Pick the one that's up most
and set is as the forced browse master, set the rest to no for browse
master.

--> [mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Arthur S. Alexion
--> Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 1:04 PM
--> To: Philly Linux Users Group
--> Subject: [PLUG] Samba/DNS question
--> as a DNS server and point the Windows machines at it.  My fear is, the
--> Windows machine is also a dial-up client, with the ISP using DHCP, so I
--> have DNS disabled.  I am concerned that enabling DNS might interfere
--> with dial-up access because the machine may look to the local DNS to
--> provide Internet look-ups.
-->
--> Do I have a real concern, or just a major misunderstanding of how DNS
--> and DHCP work?
-->
--> If my concern is founded, can someone please suggest a solution?

When a machine on a LAN makes a dial-up connection and gets another set of
IP settings the local routing table takes care of these issues. For example
if the destination IP in question is in 192.118.1.102 or in that subnet the
host will route via the NIC, for the subnet specified by the dialup
connection it'll route through the modem. There are then ways to specify if
you want to use the LAN or modem for Internet traffic or if you want to
route btwn the two networks. So, your fear has some basis but is not that
big of a deal.