gabriel rosenkoetter on 14 Feb 2004 18:12:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Interview Questions: System Admin

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 01:06:49PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 11:09:12AM -0500, Mike Chirico wrote:
> > 4.  How do you find the version of Linux running and the version of gcc
> > used?
> > Ans:
> > cat /proc/version
> Why would you give a Linux-specific question, much less answer, on a
> test for a Unix sysadmin? The POSIX way to get this information is
> uname(1).

Ah, I didn't read the whole question. Do you mean the version of gcc
used to compile the kernel? (This is, obviously, not information
that's available under commercial Unix implementations, and I can't
imagine why it would matter.)

The portable way to answer the gcc part is just to ask gcc with
--version, which is a syntax supported by most GNU tools.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net