Mike Chirico on 14 Feb 2004 20:25:03 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Interview Questions: System Admin (gabriel rosenkoetter)

[gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net> wrote]

>I don't think that the questions asked here (and, especially, the
>answers) prove that a candidate has the generalized knowledge
>necessary to be a senior sysadmin in the real world. That's not
>just because you're not asking for all the ways to do things, it's
>also because you're not asking some questions that really should
>be asked.

Agreed.  Networking, user administration, security, firewalls, and probably
Linux/Unix programming questions...[What's the difference between a System V
semaphore and Posix Semaphore. What's unique about Linux handling System V
vs other
OS? What's the difference between a thread and a process in Linux 2.4?  What
do they mean
when they said Linux doesn't support users threads; these threads are only
light weight processes?...
these I think are the cool questions].

>Some of my additions below are corrections to what I think are
>poorly worded questions. Others are additions or corrections to the
>answers to bring them inline with what I would expect to hear from a
>candidate applying for a position as a senior sysadmin.

[ snip]
>> 4.  How do you find the version of Linux running and the version of gcc
>> used?
>> Ans:
>> cat /proc/version

>Why would you give a Linux-specific question, much less answer, on a
>test for a Unix sysadmin? The POSIX way to get this information is
>uname(1).

True, I should have said Linux specific.  But uname -a is incomplete. It
doesn't give the user the version of gcc used. This is important because
sometimes the version of gcc and the version of the kernel have to be taken
into account.

>> 7. What's the difference between a hard link and a soft link?

>>Why do people use the term "soft link"? The correct term is
>>"symbolic link".

Like su ... most people think it means "super user" but it's "substitute
user and group."

[...]

>> One important note about hard links.  Editors like emacs will create a
new
>> inode for a file. So if you edit the fileB above, you won't see the
chang=
es
>> in fileA.  Instead, that inode becames the backup.

>That's a pretty irrelevant note, I think, unless you're interested
>in the internal functionings of Emacs. A salient point you neglect
>to mention is what kind of links one can make across file system
>boundaries.

But, problems could occur if you're putting hard links into run levels vs
symbolic links.  If they use emacs, to edit /etc/init.d/samba these changes
will not show up under rc5.d

For instance the correct way:

cd /etc/rc5.d
ln -s ../init.d/samba S99samba
ln -s ../init.d/samba K99samba

Incorrect way (however, everything works until /etc/init.d/samba is changed
with emacs)
cd /etc/rc5.d
ln ../init.d/samba S99samba
ln ../init.d/samba K99samba