gabriel rosenkoetter on 14 Feb 2004 20:36:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Interview Questions: System Admin (gabriel rosenkoetter)

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 03:16:09PM -0500, Mike Chirico wrote:
> True, I should have said Linux specific.  But uname -a is incomplete. It
> doesn't give the user the version of gcc used. This is important because
> sometimes the version of gcc and the version of the kernel have to be taken
> into account.

Could you name some cases?

(I've never encountered any, but I also don't use Linux in a context
where I'm building my own kernels. I use NetBSD or FreeBSD in those
contexts, and those operating systems define a specific compiler
version as "standard". That standard changes periodically--NetBSD
recently switched to gcc 3 for -current--but it doesn't change
without a whole lot of hoopla, and it's never necessary to use a
separate compiler for the kernel and userland.)

I think the version of [g]libc matters a lot. I don't think the
compiler and linker version matters much. But maybe Linux is sillier
than I'm giving it credit for?

> But, problems could occur if you're putting hard links into run levels vs
> symbolic links.  If they use emacs, to edit /etc/init.d/samba these changes
> will not show up under rc5.d

While that's a valid point, it's pretty deep into minutiae, and it
really impacts understanding of SysV rc systems, not so much
understanding of file systems. (Note that what you say here is
totally irrelevant to BSD rc systems.) That is, if this is the
salient point you're after, I think you should be asking questions
about system boot procedures.

Also note that this is one of the reasons that you probably
shouldn't use Emacs for systems administration, though it's great
for software development.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net