kaze on 20 Feb 2004 19:33:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Samba/DNS question

--> Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
-->
--> > Working from this point of inquiry, I have diagnosed my problem.  The
--> > reason I can't browse the Linux machine from the windows machine is
--> > that nmbd refuses to load.  I can't get it to load from swat and I
--> > can't get it to load from xterm.  It appears on boot that it
--> is set to
--> > load and fails.  No error messages.
--> >
--> > Any ideas how I can detect the reason it refuses to load.
--> >
--> > more info: when I load from the command line, it appears that
--> the load
--> > was successful, but then, when I check, it is not loaded.
--> >
-->
--> Now that makes complete sense.  You NetBIOS name resolver will not load
--> so Samba can't resolve names.  Have you checked /var/log/messages for
--> clues?  Also, have you confirmed that smbd is actually starting
--> sucessfully?

Maybe try testparm

testparm ? check an smb.conf configuration file for internal correctness

testparm [-s] [-h] [-v] [-L <servername>] [-t <encoding>] {config filename}
[hostname hostIP]