Art Clemons on 26 Feb 2004 15:11:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux on the desktop (was: rationalizing .Mac web pages)

Magnus Hedemark:
* Office suite. OOo doesn't score too well on interoperability with MS Office, which is pretty much a requirement. Lots of complaints from users about ease of use, performance, and UI consistancy.

WordPerfect 10 and 11 running under wine or crossover (assuming the printers are configured properly of course) can produce documents that the two latest versions of Word and its office suite deal with easily. Both can also normally deal with any document that the Word et al produces. I also note that if the MS office suites are configured properly, they can open up files in WP6 format too. Sadly WP no longer has the former level of support and doesn't produce a Linux or Unix version anymore.

OO if set to save in the Microsoft formats seems to produce docs and items that word can open easily. The document formatting (i.e. font choice et al) may be slightly skewed, but no more than someone sending a doc from let's say the mac version of office to a PC version of word.

Presently my only use for Word is opening up documents to be sure they're properly setup.