Douglas Lentz on 27 Feb 2004 00:17:02 -0000

[PLUG] Serious sound problem!

This one throws the whole concept of linux into serious doubt.... :-)

Here's the problem. My seven year old loves to play Flash games on sites like disneychannel, postopia, primarygames. Mozilla's the browser. The Flash-for-linux plugin supplied by Macromedia appears to be buggy. I can enable sound by executing, from bash

/home/dlentz> artsdp mozilla

but this only works if I'm logged in as root! So here I am, on the Internet, browsing major sites, as root. It's only a dial-up ppp account, but still...

From what I could gleen from googling, it seems that the Flash plugin thinks that the sound server is locked exclusively by another application (even though it isn't) if the server has ever, ever, been touched by anything else (like xmms).

Does anybody know how to get sound from Flash in Mozilla without being logged in as root?