kaze on 26 Feb 2004 22:37:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Samba/DNS question

--> [mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Arthur S. Alexion
--> Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 9:19 PM
<snip>
--> WORKED!!! Thanks to Eugene Smiley, Mike Leone, Sean Finney, and
--> especially Paul and finally kaze who got me onto the solution.
-->
--> testparm (run only with the -s parameter) told me that I could not set
--> two wins parameters
--> <excerpt>
--> ERROR: both 'wins support = true' and 'wins server = <server>'
--> cannot be
--> set in the smb.conf file. nmbd will abort with this setting.
--> </excerpt>
-->
--> I had wins support = true and 'wins server =<the IP address of
--> the samba
--> server> thinking that was what I had to do in order for the linux/samba
--> server supply wins services to a network without an NT/2000/XP machine
--> (the two windows machines are 9x). For some reason, every time I tried
--> to blank out the wins server = IP address, it kept coming back (using
--> swat), so I changed wins support to false, instead, and nmbd started
--> successfully. I hopped on the windows machines, and right there in the
--> network browser, the linux machine appeared.
-->
--> Now I need to figure out what I am doing wrong trying to set up an HP
--> Laserjet on one of the windows machines as a samba/cups printer
--> so I can
--> print to it from the linux machine. Maybe nmbd will solve this problem
--> too, since the cups web interface (localhost:631) wouldn't show smb as
--> an available port as the instructions said it should.
-->
--> Last, I need to figure out why smbmount prompts me for a password, even
--> though I provide one with the command's parameters. I am afraid to put
--> it in fstab until I get this password thing resolved.
-->
--> Thanks again to all. I don't know how I would do it without the people
--> on this list.

There should be a way to set two WiNS servers though, I know you can do it
on Windows clients, and for Windows clients via Windows DHCP. So SWAT was
creating a config that was broken?

I have (had) nice mini-howto which I used to set up shared printers, it
details how to do it both way - but I can't find it now... I'll look some
more later and hopefully post the link.