Art Clemons on 27 Feb 2004 04:03:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux on the desktop (was: rationalizing .Mac web pages)

You don't even need Word for that.  Get Microsoft's free Word document
viewer.  It's worked great on everything I've tried it on.

Let me sadly note that the Document Viewer works better than Word does. That's why I have to have a copy of Microsoft's Suite to test docs with. Besides, the viewer often doesn't retain formatting either, an important consideration at times and for some usages of an Office Suite.

If I just wanted to be able to open docs, I could save to Word6 format and use WordPad under wine to check. I need to know if the formatting worked and other little details like the number of pages. Frankly I'ld love to give up on MS formats entirely but unfortunately the rest of the world does not agree with me.