Ron Kaye Jr on 27 Feb 2004 16:52:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux on the desktop (was: rationalizing .Mac web pages)

its interoperability with the 95% windows world.
95% dont want the extra hassle.
i am learning linux to bridge the 2, and of course improve employment prospects.
i'll keep trying

ron

-----Original Message-----
From: "W. Chris Shank" <chris.shank@acetechgroup.com>
Sent: Feb 27, 2004 10:09 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Linux on the desktop (was: rationalizing .Mac web pages)

Our formula for Linux desktop success is the inverse computer
sophistication equation. The more sophisticated the user means they are
more comfortable with Windows, even it's flaws. They get good at
predicting when the system will crash or hang, the nuances and tricks of
the applications they use that cause the system to freak out. They have
gained a level of comfort knowing that Windows isn't perfect but they
feel that it's not any better for anyone else, since everyone complains
about it. They are extremely frightened of anything else.

However, the unsophisticated user doesn't know or hasn't learned any of
the "tricks" of the Windows environment. They expect it to work in a
certain way and when it doesn't they figure they did something wrong
(this is opposite of the sophisticated user - who knows it's the
computer's fault but feels powerless to do anything about it). So the
unsophisticated user has a much easier time switching to linux,
openoffice, mozilla, etc - because after a little training - the system
pretty much works as they were shown. I almost never hear a peep out of
these people after they have switched.

Sophisticated users never seem to be able to get over the mental block
of not using a Micosoft product and look for every excuse to complain.
The trick that I've learned is sizing the user up before hand - so that
you don't push Linux to an unsophisticated user.

And as far as OpenOffice not handling MS Office formats well. From our
experience that is baloney. There are a few things openoffice doesn't
handle well - but that number is relatively small and those features are
only used by the most advanced users. which is one reason that we don't
see desktop linux as an option in big companies for a while - there are
too many users on all ends of the spectrum. Whereas in small companies -
they tend not to have that many users across the spectrum, and when they
do - it's easier for Window and Linux to coexist in these small
environments. After a few hours of formal training on OpenOffice, most
people learn the few things that don't translate between office packages
well and can pretty easily work around them.

W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group, LLC
http://www.acetechgroup.com
(484) 713-0075