Mike Leone on 28 Feb 2004 04:27:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux on the desktop (was: rationalizing .Mac web pages)

W. Chris Shank (chris.shank@acetechgroup.com) had this to say on 02/27/04 at 10:11:

> And as far as OpenOffice not handling MS Office formats well. From our
> experience that is baloney. There are a few things openoffice doesn't

(Note - my experience is about a year old now)

I had a Word doc in Word 2000. As documents go, relatively uncomplicated -
some numbered bullets; some bullet points with symbols.

Opened in OOO, and re-saved, and re-opened in Word (to simulate sharing
documents between OOO users and Word users) ...

none of the aligment was correct. I had to edit the entire
document, re-aligning each point, to the way I wanted it, and the way it
used to be, in Word.  And resizing a table, with it's columns,
and bullet points in table cells.

This was a 2 page doc. No way was I going to let OOO loose on something like
our HOWTO manuals, with embedded screenshots, letterhead, etc. Much less our
200+ page manuals on how to underwite insurance policies, with bookmarks,
index, etc.

We are a small company - 75 users.

For the folks who only use Word to write a letter, or a fax cover page ..
maybe. Hopefully, things have gotten better.

YMMV