Aaron Mulder on 28 Feb 2004 04:34:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] How to combine 2 IDE drives into one ...

	Don't forget to install a boot loader on hdb, or once you make it
hda, you won't be able to boot.  Don't forget to turn off the mail server
for the duration.  Make sure you apply the correct permissions to the new
/tmp (if the copy process doesn't do that itself).  Don't forget to format
the new swap partition.  You don't actually need to remove hdc; you can
keep it around for the extra space and/or backup of /var.

	If I was doing this (and had physical access to the machine) I'd
shut down, install the new drive as hda, move the old one to hdb, boot
from a rescue CD, do the data copy from there, mount the new root
partition, clean up fstab, chroot to the mount point of the new root
partition, mount the other partitions, install the boot loader, and then
exit/reboot.  Running the mounts at this time (and with the old drive
moved) makes it easier to flush out problems while you're in a completely
functional environment (as opposed to failing mid-boot).  I also find it
easier to copy things like /var when the system isn't actually live with
that partition.  It also avoids things like your mail server accepting
mail after you perform the backup but before you reboot, you won't end up
with truncated logs, you won't have a bunch of PID files for processes
that aren't running when you boot on the new drive, and so on.  And it
lets you use "cp -a" for the copy (or "dd" if the partition sizes are
identical) -- though I only say that because I'm not familiar with pax. :)

Aaron