William H. Magill on 28 Feb 2004 23:14:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux on the desktop: closer than you think

On 27 Feb, 2004, at 19:27, W. Chris Shank wrote:
I think that was the same article that was in the Philly inquirer last
week. If you get the author's email - I would love to tell him about the
support options.

His email address is usually in one of the columns... although of late it
appears to be that of a secretarial pool.

Fried is your basic "Microsoft Bigot." He writes for the masses, who, he
believes, only ever understand Microsoft. (He himself, however is actually
much more computer literate than that.)

He KNOWS (as should most everyone on this list) that "J.Q.Public" has never
heard of Mailing Lists or LUGs or anything of the sort. Their interface to
the Internet is solely whatever they get from Verizon, Comecast or whoever
/whatever their ISP happens to package for them.

Personally, I disagree with his approach and have told him so in the past.
But he writes what his editors want. He gets 50-100 questions a week about
Microsoft stuff -- but only gets one or two a MONTH on Linux or Mac ... we
all know why, but the point is -- his editors see those 50-100 questions
about Microsoft and say, "Write about that."

I must have tossed the column about Xandros as I can't find it, (and Xandros
doesn't have it on their website) but I would guess that his comment about
support was intended for them... I assume the $2.99 a minute charge is their
charge. The implication being that whoever answered their support line, could
not resolve whatever he had problems with.

The problem I have with Xandros is that it has a very limited definition of
"Linux." It doesn't run on Alpha Linux ... or at least there is nothing on
their website to imply that it runs on anything other than something that
would run a Microsoft OS. And I know from past experience that when vendors
proclaim "Linux" -- they only mean Wintel based Linux. If they don't explicitly
state support for other architectures, they don't support it.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000 - [Alpha EV6]
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com