Paul on 27 Feb 2004 22:05:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux on the desktop: closer than you think

Brian Colgan wrote:

As I was showing some local linux professionals last night, the Xandros
desktop OS is closer than you think. Our Business Edition due out in a
few weeks comes with Star Office, and authenticates against Windows PDCs
and Active Directory Servers. Business as well as Deluxe come bundled
with Codeweaver's Crossover Office to allow use of the most popular
windows apps like Office, IE, Photoshop, etc. Easing migration from
Windows to Linux by supporting the use of Windows apps is a valid
strategy.

There is a 45% LUG discount available. Please use this discount coupon
code 036ec84e82d6 when ordering from
http://shop.xandros.com/product_info.php?products_id=30

Please note that this discount coupon is only valid for the Deluxe
Desktop currently.

I finally got around to reading a February 12 article in the Burlington County Times titled "Xandros helps Linux advance." Start with the good then moves on to the negative and finishes with a positive conclusion. One like temps me to write to the author.

Referring to problems, John F. Fried writes, "And good luck trying to find someone who will explain those things, even at $2.99 per minute." I guess Mr. Fried has never joined a mailing list, attended a LUG meeting, chatted with Linux people, or paid a company like Red Hat for support. I understand that he means that your average computer buddy doesn't know about Linux and that big companies like Dell don't offer Linux support, but support is available; it's just not in the familiar form that Window$ people are used to.

Interestingly, Linux encourages reclusive computer people to socialize, too, even if it gets in the way of programming or something.