Alex Birch on 2 Mar 2004 22:14:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Linux on the desktop

George Langford, Sc.D. wrote:

Hello PLUG !

Gyoza wrote in response to my warning:

PLUG Digest viruses ... may keep potential Linux users away from a useful source of information about the utility of Linux.

Why does it matter since you have Norton AV for Window$?

Several reasons: NAV isn't perfect; or I could screw up.

Please don't click on any unexpected attachments from this list or any other email. Even IF you recognize the email address. Just don't do it... If your email client automatically open attachments (read: Older Outlook Expresses) switch emailing clients immediately.

I think it would be a good idea to have a virus scanner for this list. Unfortunately I don't know where a free mailing scanner can be found or a patron willing to purchase one for this scanner. If you know of either, I'm sure that the PLUG will be willing to help rectify the situation. Personally I would be reluctant to pay my money to support Window users, I'm extremely cheap. I'll just keep my money and call it tough love.

And I never heard a peep from the list admin to
whom I first addressed my concern. It's getting downright
discourteous.

What do you want him to do? The guy has already volunteered his time. No one in PLUG is remunerated yet the people are extremely helpful. If anyone was paying for this service and there was no response, I would agree that there was something wrong.

And I have to interact with NAV when I should be
learning when it's time to try Linux.

Perhaps if you switched to Linux you wouldn't have to worry about NAV. What you could do is get a copy of Knoppix and read this emailing list with it running. Read about Linux; click attachments with impunity :-)

Cheers,
Alex

PS My hypothesis for why there are fewer viruses for Linux, is that the average linux user will NOT open an unexpected email attachment. That's the number one way that the most of these viruses are spread.