eric@lucii.org on 2 Mar 2004 23:11:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Linux on the desktop

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 05:13:37PM -0500, Alex Birch wrote:
> -- much deleted --
> Please don't click on any unexpected attachments from this list or any
> other email. Even IF you recognize the email address. Just don't do
> it... If your email client automatically open attachments (read: Older
> Outlook Expresses) switch emailing clients immediately.
>
> I think it would be a good idea to have a virus scanner for this list.
> Unfortunately I don't know where a free mailing scanner can be found or
> a patron willing to purchase one for this scanner. If you know of
> either, I'm sure that the PLUG will be willing to help rectify the
> situation. Personally I would be reluctant to pay my money to support
> Window users, I'm extremely cheap. I'll just keep my money and call it
> tough love.

I have a friend who runs Clam Antivirus on his e-smith box and he swears
by it!  In fact, he's turning off Norton AV on his WinXP box (where he
reads the email served up by the e-smith box) because no more virus
infected emails get through.  I've yet to try to install it for myself
so this is second-hand testamony.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/clamav/

Regards,
Eric

--
#  Eric Lucas
#     "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth