George Langford, Sc.D. on 4 Mar 2004 14:15:03 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Linux on the desktop

Hello PLUG !

Here's what I actually wrote:

> Linux users appear to be lulled into a false sense of security
> that leaves their emails vulnerable to infections.

I implied that some Linux users are inconsiderate and that the
Linux message isn't going to be well received by interested WinPC
users unless this mailing list at least gets some adequate
method of stopping the propagation of viruses. That has been
discussed.  And no, I don't open attachments, and yes, there
are other means by which these malicious codes infect 'puters,
so avoiding attachments isn't an adequate means of protection
any more. What I lost in this exchange was most of two issues
of the PLUG Digest.  They seem of less value now.

The virus that prompted my original posting was the first that I
received from the PLUG Digest.  It was properly intercepted by
my NAV.  My concern wasn't selfish in the sense of an anguished
squeal about getting a virus; nor that you were or were not
warning the Digest readers about virus attacks (of which I would
hope that they already quite aware), but instead that you are
kidding yourselves if you think that the virus war is being fought
on someone else's territory.

Best regards,
George Langford, Sc.D.
amenex@amenex.com