Jeff Abrahamson on 11 Mar 2004 02:02:02 -0000

[PLUG] emacs colors

On my workstation, emacs comes up with certain ideas of how to color
things.

On another machine where I have an account, it makes various "bad"
decisions.  Some of these I can fix:

    (set-mouse-color "blue")
    (set-cursor-color "purple")
    ; (set-background-color "white")
    ; (set-foreground-color "white")

But there are other colors, apparently, and I don't know what to call
them.  For example, syntax highlighting assumes a dark background and
so setting background to white makes a lot of text invisible.

I have no ~/.Xresources.  I tried creating an empty one to no effect.

/etc/X11/Xresources has this to say:

    emacs*Background: DarkSlateGray
    emacs*Foreground: Wheat
    emacs*pointerColor: Orchid
    emacs*cursorColor: Orchid
    emacs*bitmapIcon: on
    emacs*font: fixed
    emacs.geometry: 80x25

which all seems innocuous.  I found some links via google about color
themes, but that way lies dragons, I think.

Any thoughts what must be done to fix this?

--
 Jeff