sean finney on 10 Mar 2004 22:22:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Switching to gentoo

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 04:24:46PM -0500, brad-plug@litech.org wrote:
> I wanted to know if anyone had any insight into switching to gentoo while another distro is running and on the same partitions (I know, not recommended, but is it possible/not excessivly difficult).

(please format your lines to < 80 characters per line)

possible, yes.  difficult, definitely--especially if you're concerned
with preserving data!  your best bet is to put everything you want to save
(hopefully that's all in /home and /usr/local?) on a partition that you
don't touch with the installer, and then just go through the installer
process, and move anything back that needs to be moved back afterwards.

> But, it is running my web/dns/mail servers.  I would prefer to be able to install the base system and then reboot and finish up the installation.  I plan on using stage3 as the system isn't all that fast nor does it have the memory required to use stage1/2 (and there is no good reason to use stage1/2 either).

something you might find interesting:

http://www.hadrons.org/~guillem/debian/debtakeover/

is a script written by a debian developer to migrate a rh-based colo
to debian with minimal fuss i've heard it works on other distros too,
but ymmv (especially since you're on a sparc).  it's not exactly
gentoo, but if you're not bound to gentoo it might be worth a shot,
or alternatively reading the script could give you a good idea of what
you'd need to do for gentoo.

	sean