Matthew Ozor on 11 Mar 2004 20:11:03 -0000

RE: [PLUG] [OT] Postage on EMail?

Title: RE: [PLUG] [OT] Postage on EMail?

The only way I see this happening is if they (AOL, MSN, ECT) start a private email network.  I can see it now join our email network and receive no spam $9 a month or something.  The catch is that you want be able to send mail out of network i.e.. Prodigy and aol of the past.   I had an Idea a while ago about email - email should just be a notice that there is mail on a so called server for you. You click it and it open on there server. I don't think spasm could handle 1,000,000 hits for each letter it send out.  Since Im in no position to devise or introduce ideas I'll leave it to the big boys to figure the problem out. Hopefully it wont cost me more money in the end. Hey does anyone remember Sierra Online they used to charge you per IM like $6 a month for unlimited or 10cents per. Anyway I hope it doesn't go back to that.

Matthew Ozor

www.ozor.net

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org [mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of George Gallen
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 3:01 PM
To: 'plug@lists.phillylinux.org'
Subject: RE: [PLUG] [OT] Postage on EMail?

I'd like to know who is going to keep track of the stamps?
And how will this stop a spammer from using an ISP outside
   the country that doesn't impose email sending fees?

Since 99% of my spam seems to come from China, fees on sending
based in the US/EU won't stop much of it.

All it will stop are the real companies sending spam, and not
bogus companies sending spam for another company.

This will bring about a new definition of spam. it will need to
be catagorized into 1. bogus return address/IP   & 2. matching IP/return

The stamps will only hurt those sending type 2's, but at the same
time will most likely be written off as business expense.

Boy, Imagine the intrest that would accumulate off the holder of all
those e-stamps??? Who gets the interest?

I have a feeling if $$ starts becoming involved in the sending of emails
you will start seeing some ISP charging for forwarding mail (take a slice
fo the fee charged)....starting to look like the way long distance phone
calls were billed, where each holder of a line used charged a fee.

Now, if that's the case, can you start sueing because your email didn't
take the most direct route (causing the least amount of fees?), and what
happens when the total of the fees to send the email winds up to be more
the cost of an email, who forfeits their fee?

too many questions, too much potential for coruption..maybe this should be
handled by the government?? They seem like honest accountable people!!

George