jazzman on 11 Mar 2004 22:02:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] [OT] Postage on EMail?

Hi all,

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents into the ring on this. It seems to me
that the difference between the email systems of the world and the post
offices of the world is that the post offices need REAL PHYSICAL methods
of delivering the mail, so some kind of fee/tax is necessary to make that
possible. In an electronic world, there is no such resource demand. All
that's needed are at least two machines and some way to connect them
(copper, fibre, ether for wireless, IP by carrier pigeon even!).

Now, given this, here is the problem I see with the email postage issue.
If Bill Gates and others decide they're going to enforce this and everyone
starts to adopt this, what's to keep me or you or someone else from
sitting down at a computer (a linux computer of course!) and writing a NEW
mailing protocol/application and just using that instead. Then in a short
while people will see there are still FREE alternatives out there and
guess which one people will start using. Once it catches on a bit more
some of the more popular email programs will end up incorporating support
for it, and suddenly the postage based email (smtp) isn't being used
because a new one is out there that's FREE.

Now I suppose someone could start taxing that as well, but then the cycle
just continues. With a digital world it becomes impossible to FORCE
someone to use a single tool EXCLUSIVELY. There will always be people to
reverse engineer and/or develop around anything they see as prohibitive.

Maybe i'm looking at it through rose colored glasses, but it seems like
the most likely scenario is that when the taxes start getting charged an
alternative method is found. If it's legal AND free it's going to be
easier to accept than legal and COSTLY, so long as it's as easy as the
previous tool.

Thoughts?
Marc