Jeff Abrahamson on 12 Mar 2004 15:01:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Postage on EMail?

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 03:52:37PM -0500, jazzman@exdomain.org wrote:
> Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents into the ring on this. It seems to me
> that the difference between the email systems of the world and the post
> offices of the world is that the post offices need REAL PHYSICAL methods
> of delivering the mail, so some kind of fee/tax is necessary to make that
> possible.

All those wires, fibers, routers, switches, servers, and so forth cost
real money.  It's just cheaper than moving a lot of paper, but it's
not free.

It's also been nicely subsidized for us by many investors who lost
their shirts paying for it and the reselling it in bankruptcy for
pennies on the dollar.  The dark benefits to others of bankruptcy when
fixed assets are involved.

--
 Jeff