Dayton Gray on 12 Mar 2004 15:46:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Postage on EMail?

> All those wires, fibers, routers, switches, servers, and so forth
> cost real money.  It's just cheaper than moving a lot of paper, but it's
> not free.
>
> It's also been nicely subsidized for us by many investors who lost
> their shirts paying for it and the reselling it in bankruptcy for
> pennies on the dollar.  The dark benefits to others of bankruptcy
> when fixed assets are involved.
>
> --
>  Jeff
>
>  Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>
>  GPG fingerprint: 1A1A BA95 D082 A558 A276  63C6 16BF 8C4C 0D1D AE4B

I am of the opinion that when anything such as e-mail has a revenue stream
attached to it, it only hurts the end user. It is up to the e-mail provider
to filter spam and if the customer isn't happy with that service, they will
find another to use. As soon as you attach a money stream to a service, there
is room for pilfering and misdirecting of funds. This solution does nothing
to help the end user and will only profit big business. As far as the wires
and hardware being financed for us by investors, good. I am also financing it
by paying my service provider 'many' dollars/mo. Investors know that when
they invest they are taking risk. If they did not see a juicy return on their
investment, tough. My personal portfolio took a nasty hit this week, I expect
that you will all give me $1.50 and I'll let you connect to my FTP server...
bleh

--
Dayton Gray
dgray &at& omnio () com