Michael Leone on 12 Mar 2004 01:46:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Anybody ever buy one of those Walmart PCs?

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 10:43, Gregson Helledy wrote:
> >Uh...well, when I installed RH something told me that the box was an
> >i686. Is that a P4? Or is there no relationship? Also, why are Celerons
> >the poor relations of the Intel family? Is it the cache, or lack thereof?
>
> An i686 is apparently anything Pentium II or faster.  I compiled
> a custom kernel for my Athlon but uname -a still describes it as i686.
>
> This Slashdot article:
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/12/05/0554230&mode=thread
> covers an Anandtech article on Celeron performance.  It compares
> the new 2+ GHz Celerons to Duron, AthlonXP and Pentium 4 chips, and
> offers explanations as to the differences.  Let's just say that the
> Celeron didn't do that well.

I ended up ordering the Walmart PC for $228 or so, with shipping. AMD
Duron 1.4GHz, 128M RAM. I'll need to pick up some more, since all I have
is PC2100 DDR RAM, which I don't think is compatible. But 133MHz SDRAM
shouldn't be too much more.