Paul on 21 Mar 2004 18:10:05 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [plug-announce] Ello!

Arthur S. Alexion wrote:

Sorry to raise a topic with so little information, but...

I picked up and skimmed a Linux Journal in B&N Friday. What interested me was an article by the founder of pobox proposing a scheme for SMTP authentication (I can't recall the acronym) positing that most spam has some form of forged headers. The idea was by detecting and stopping forgeries, it would also stop most spam and viruses. Use of the protocol seemed like a pretty simple patch or plug-in compatible with most OSS MTAs (sendmail, postfix & qmail, and others I can't recall). Sounded promising. I wish I could recall more.

Honestly, you should have just bought the magazine.

I was just thinking of the GNU/Linux/OSS-related items for which I've paid. Linux Journal (one and two year subscriptions), Linux Magazine (for a short time), some books, and the Revolution OS DVD. Oh, and a few $1 donations in exchange for burned CDs at CHLUG meetings. I wouldn't mind having a nice T-shirt. I've thought about paying for a distro, but I never have. This doesn't really count, but a big benefit of paying for a cable modem is the ability to quickly download large amounts of OSS.