Paul on 21 Mar 2004 21:04:01 -0000

Re: Subject: Re: [PLUG] Why does linux browse at one tenth the speed of Windows XP?

John Karr wrote:

Here's what I found:

#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
hosts:      files nisplus nis dns

So I removed all of the NIS entries, and even restarted. It still takes about 30 seconds to open a page.

I bet you have a firewall issue.

OK, have you narrowed the problem down to DNS lookups? I mean, how long does it take to load a page if you use an IP address instead of a name? How long does nslookup or dig take to respond? What about ping and traceroute?

Hey, how about running a caching DNS server?