Stephen Gran on 23 Mar 2004 01:41:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: SPF

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 04:26:59PM -0500, Arthur S. Alexion said:
> > IMAP requires the user to connect to the server in order to send mail.
> > Not too many properly setup servers will allow non-users to send lots of
> > email from them without cause.  Comcast allowing Comcast users to use
> > other email addresses probably isn't a problem since Comcast is
> > authenticating the user, further it's a simple solution to cut off email
> > privileges once a certain number of emails goes out from that user.
> > Spammers can't exist with a limit of let's say 100 per hour.
>
> It has been a while, but a few years back, my work email was being stored on a
> fishnet (pond.com/alexion.com) server, and we were using comcast at home.
> When I was home I could log onto the IMAP server at alexion.com, but had to
> use comcast's smtp to send mail.  alexion.com's IMAP server didn't know a
> thing about the mail I was sending via comcast's smtp.

What is with the general confusion between IMAP and SMTP?  Different
protocols, different servers, different ports.  Not related.  Both
happen to handle email.

|  Stephen Gran                  | <doogie_> linux takes shit and turns it |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | into something useful. <doogie_>        |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | windows takes something useful and      |
|  			         | turns it into shit                      |