Walt Mankowski on 23 Mar 2004 02:38:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: SPF

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 08:25:01AM -0500, Jeff McAdams wrote:
> So what?  The envelope isn't seen by the end user and isn't used in most
> spam filtering solutions, all that has to be done is stick an @domain,
> whichever domain, on the end of whatever envelope you want to use and
> away you go.

Well, one reason it's not used currently is that if can't be trusted.  :)

> I'm still not clear what practical benefit SPF brings.  So it ensures
> that the envelope from comes from an authorized SMTP servers.  I just
> don't see that being much of a help, and I see numerous drawbacks
> (particularly where SMTP AUTH isn't available).

One big practical benefit is bounces.  Suppose you decide to sent some
spam while you're at your parents' place.  You've got a big list of
email addresses, most of which became invalid years ago.  You don't
want to deal with all the bounce messages, so you set your envelope
sender to "billg@microsoft.com".  Now billg's mailbox fills up with
bounce messages he didn't send.  But if you're forced to use, say, a
comcast.com envelope sender, then bounce messages either go to a
Comcast MX or another Comcast customer.  Either way it's going to be a
lot easier for Comcast to track you down if all the bounce messages
stay inside their domain.

Walt