Stephen Gran on 23 Mar 2004 03:11:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: SPF

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:37:12PM -0500, Walt Mankowski said:
> One big practical benefit is bounces.  Suppose you decide to sent some
> spam while you're at your parents' place.  You've got a big list of
> email addresses, most of which became invalid years ago.  You don't
> want to deal with all the bounce messages, so you set your envelope
> sender to "billg@microsoft.com".  Now billg's mailbox fills up with
> bounce messages he didn't send.  But if you're forced to use, say, a
> comcast.com envelope sender, then bounce messages either go to a
> Comcast MX or another Comcast customer.  Either way it's going to be a
> lot easier for Comcast to track you down if all the bounce messages
> stay inside their domain.

The major problem with SPF is that it doesn't preserve the envelope,
as far as I can tell.  This means that if email (which relies on the
store-and-forward-based nature of smtp) passes through multiple hosts
that like and use SPF, the original envelope will be lost.  At the
final server, if it bounces, who do I send the bounce to?  The last
forwarder (that is what the envelope from would be)?  The header from:?
In other words, my email goes from some spammer -> address A -> address
B -> address C.  Address C 550's it, and Address B does what with it?
Bounce to Address A?  Deliver to my local account on Address B, which
forwards again to address C?  If it bounces to Address A, we get the
same thing again.  This is not a new problem that SPF created really, but
modifying the original envelope greatly exacerbates it.  This would lead
to problems with mail forwarding, which is a long standing email practice.
It would also beat up things like secondary MX's, but they already get
pretty beat up :)

The upside to SPF, sender host verification, only works if literally
everybody is doing it, with the exception of spammers.  Since I see many
hosts out there that don't even do ESMTP yet, I doubt that this will be
a reality any time soon.  And given that Microsoft will probably
implement it's own proprietary anti-spam system sometime soon, none of
the IIS boxes out there will do any of this.

It doesn't seem to fix as much as it breaks, sadly.
|  Stephen Gran                  | The road to ruin is always in good      |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | repair, and the travellers pay the      |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | expense of it.   -- Josh Billings       |