Walt Mankowski on 22 Mar 2004 00:18:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: SPF

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 02:29:36PM -0500, Jeff McAdams wrote:
> The problem with SPF is that it claims to prevent header "forging", but
> that's not really what its doing.  It does prevent header forging, but
> it does considerably more than that as well, and the "considerably more"
> is where the problems show up.
>
> Part of the problem is defining "header forging".  Clearly spam messages
> sent with a From: address of something at yahoo.com would be considered
> forged...but what about this email?  The From: address on it is jeffm at
> iglou.com.  But I'm currently using my laptop at my parents' house,
> through their cable modem connection.  I'm sending this with my jeffm at
> iglou.com From: address because *I* am jeffm at iglou.com.  But my
> laptop isn't on an iglou.com Internet connection at the moment.  Now, in
> this case, its not all that big of a deal because IgLou has considerable
> clue and provides SMTP AUTH based relaying, so this email will bounce
> off of IgLou's servers.
>
> If IgLou didn't provide SMTP AUTH based mail relaying, however, and
> implemented strict SPF, then I would be unable to send email (assuming
> SPF were widely checked) with my jeffm at iglou.com address, even though
> it would be perfectly valid for me to do so.  Given that I have recently
> had an exchange with someone who claims that SMTP AUTH based relaying
> capability is virtually unheard of for ISPs, and that IgLou is in the
> drastic minority because they do provide this (I don't know...it seems
> to me that not offering SMTP AUTH is rare, but I could certainly be
> wrong), it seems that strict SPF checking would then be quite
> problematic as I would have to use the SMTP server of my parents cable
> modem connection, and then the email would be rejected because its not
> coming from an SMTP server that's not in IgLou's SPF list.
>
> The idea of SPF is that using a From: address of a domain when the email
> isn't coming from a mail server that that domain administrator defines
> as valid, is "forgery."  But, for ISPs, they will either have to offer
> SMTP AUTH relaying, not implement strict SPF, or make the decision that
> their customers will only be able to send email when they are connected
> to that ISPs connectivity (that's a slight oversimplification, but not
> much), that last will not be a commercially pleasant alternative for
> ISPs to swallow.

You're confusing the envelope sender with the From: address.  SPF only
protects the *envelope*.  In fact, it doesn't even look at the message
itself, only the envelope.  You can set your From: address to anything
you want, so long as an authorized host is given as the "Mail From:"
domain in the SMTP envelope.

If you're on a Comcast cable modem, for instance, it's perfectly legal
to relay through their SMTP server but with a From: address of
iglou.com.  The recipient's SMTP server will see the mail as coming
from "jeffm@comcast.net", but that'll be ok because it will be coming
from a Comcast SMTP server which they'll have authorized as being
allowed to send Comcast mail.  But that's all just protocol.  When the
recipient gets the mail, they'll just see "From: jeffm@iglou.com".

This is all explained quite clearly in the Linux Journal article.

Walt