John Karr on 23 Mar 2004 06:31:02 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Mandrake Linux 10 web browsing much slower than windows.

For those of you who didn't follow the thread from the beginning, since upgrading to Mandrake 10.0 my web browsing has been excrutiatingly slow, where a page that will load on my XP machine in under 10 seconds will take 30 seconds to a minute on Mandrake. I have since placed project Gentoo (my attempts to build a working Gentoo system) with installing Fedora on the spare machine, results much faster browsing than Mandrake 10, a fresh install of Mandrake 10 on test machine, with slow browsing again. What puzzles me is why I'm the only one having the problem -- if it was a glitch from the upgrade, then the test machine with a fresh install should be fine, and at least I'd have a workable (if undesireable) solution -- I haven't come accross any references to this problem on the Mandrake sites.

If anyone else has had or not had similar problems with Mandrake 10, I'd like to know about it. Also anyone with any ideas for what could be the cause.