McLinux on 24 Mar 2004 05:12:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] wine installation (newbee)

Paul wrote:

>Edward Donahue III wrote:
>

>>Today I was tring to install wine-20031212 on my mandrake 10 box. I
>>was ablut to "unzip" the .tar but when I try to do the following:
>>
>>[root@localhost wine-20031212]# ./configure
>>checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
>>checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
>>checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
>>checking for gcc... no
>>checking for cc... no
>>checking for cc... no
>>checking for cl... no

If you have a look at the above error message, it's clearly seen that
you are missing compilers. Since you are a newbie, here is a foreword.
Every product /software that you try to install, first needs to be
compiled (compiling essentially 'converts' human readeable code into
machine code which a computer can execute immediately) and hence for
almost every package that you get in a tar ball format, you need a
compiler. As suggested by Paul you need to include development tools as
well.

If you need any more help on installing free feel to reply back, I had
successfully installed wine and had run Ms-Excel 2000 and other such
stuff, but don't be in surprise they don't run really well and you need
to do lots of hacking if you wish to get them running.

HTH
-McLinux