Mayet Canoy on 25 Mar 2004 02:50:02 -0000

[PLUG] mouse

hi guys,
	i am a linux newbie and i hope you can assist me with my problem.  i am trying to test a USB mouse using montavista 2.4.18.  i want to trap the packets sent by the mouse device to the host.  i have created a program that does a blocking read on /dev/input/mouse0.  i discovered that the mouse generates a 3-byte packet.  when i researched for a scrolling wheel mouse, i found out that i have to use IMPS/2 protocol and that a 4-byte packet  will be generated.  when i configured my mouse to use the wheel button, i found out that the Section "Pointer" in /etc/X11/XF86Config uses "IMPS/2" protocol.  but when i executed my program, i still got 3 bytes where in fact scrolling is executing well.  where did i go wrong?  if i understood it correctly, then why can't i get a 4-byte packet from the mouse when i am using the scrolling wheel?  is it because of my program?  if so, can somebody tell me how to do it rigth?  or better yet does anyone know of a utility/tool that traps the mouse packets?  any input will be greatly appreciated.

mayet