Arthur S. Alexion on 26 Mar 2004 17:57:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] whitelisting for POP3

On Friday 26 March 2004 09:51 am, jeff wrote:
>  I'm having a hard time figuring out what's so
> terrible about it.

I suppose that I understand that, as I would hope that it is not your
intention to do this if you thought it was rude.  I suppose that it is like
caller ID.  When it was first announced -- before the invention of caller ID
block -- I thought it was a great idea, like the peephole or window on a
front door that allows you to see who it is before answering the door.
Ironically, others saw it as an intrusion on the privacy of the caller.  The
PA PUC adopted the view that it violated PA's wiretap law -- one of the
strictest in the country.  Bell of PA's development of caller ID block
satisfied the PUC's concerns and paved the way for Caller ID's approval.  We
then came full circle with *82 which allows users of caller ID to block calls
from those who block their IDs.  So it seems that there are many divergent
perspectives on curtesy and privacy.

> > Just yesterday someone was getting skewered on
> > the palm pilot list for using a service that does this.
>
> I would consider it bad netiquette on a list - the recipient should have
> whitelisted the list address in advance.

If only that worked.  It wouldn't work on this list as the messages arrive as
sent by the original sender -- not the list.  Your message came to be as
being sent by 'jeff <jeffv@op.net>' not 'plug@lists.phillylinux.org', so
whitelisting the latter wouldn't help at all.  You would not only have to
whitelist all list members, but you would have to update your whitelist
everytime someone new joined the list.

To illustrate what *I* don't like about it, lets suppose that I posted to the
list not even knowing you were a subscriber.  Now I have to deal with your
challenge message -- and the challenge messages of others using a C/R system
- -- even though I have no idea who you are and whether I care that you read my
post or not.  To me, your challenge is spam.  Consider the absurd situation
of us both using a C/R system.  I post to the list.  That results in your
system sending me an automated challenge message.  But since you are not on
my whitelist, my system generates a challenge to your challenge, and so on.
It would be absurd if the loop of challenges brings both of our systems down.
- --

_______________________________________
Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC
arthur [at] alexion [dot] com
aim: aalexion
sms: 2679725536 [at] messaging [dot] sprintpcs [dot] com

GnuPG fingerprint
pub  1024D/ACC5BA7A 2004-01-30 Arthur S. Alexion (Art Alexion)
<arthur@alexion.com>
     Key fingerprint = 52A4 B10C AA73 096F A661  92D2 3B65 8EAC ACC5 BA7A
sub  1024g/328F84E6 2004-01-30