jeff on 26 Mar 2004 14:52:06 -0000

Re: [PLUG] whitelisting for POP3

> Every recipient HATES this.

I respect your right to hate this, even though I find it odd that the
free-thinking people who use linux are so upset.  I feel that my right
to control my own mailbox makes it desirable (even though it doesn't
look like I can pull it off).

I guess if I did pull it off, some people would ignore my messages.  So
be it.

Otoh, if the message was from their bank or best friend, I'm pretty sure
they'd return a one-time confirmation message.  I'd definitely grant
anyone that courtesy.  I'm having a hard time figuring out what's so
terrible about it.

> Just yesterday someone was getting skewered on
> the palm pilot list for using a service that does this.

I would consider it bad netiquette on a list - the recipient should have
whitelisted the list address in advance.

> > I spoke with a guy who writes rules for SA and he said no way.
>
> no way spamassassin does this, or no way the current developers even want
> spamassassin to do this.

no way SA *can* do it  (for accuracy's sake, I don't know if this fellow
was an official developer - he was linked as a proficient rule-writer).

If I bump up the SA whitelist priority, that's half of the battle.  Just
don't know how to do challenge/response.

Thanks,
jeff