Paul on 1 Apr 2004 05:14:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Japanese Keyboard, was UTF-8, Second Opinion

sean finney wrote:

slightly ot of the original message, but eh...

iirc, the three input modes are hiragana, katakana, and romaji. on a
japanese keyboard there's a key for switching between the various modes.
i believe the possible kanji are derived from the sequence of hiragana
characters.

How do you produce those tick marks that are used to change "ta" to "da" and those little circles used to change "ha" to "pa"?

on my qwerty keyboard, i use a combination of locales + x input modifiers
+ non-8-bit terminals + kinput/canna to simulate having such a keyboard.
i type the 1-3 character syllables and the appropriate
hiragana/katakana/kanji/romaji text is output.

Typing Kanji is more like typing Furigana; little Hiragana characters above or below the Kanji used to show it's pronunciation.

Can you type kana in an e-mail?

i've got a mebius laptop--if you're interested i can send you a pic off
list.

doumo. shashin wo kudasai. (Sorry, I can't be much more expressive, yet.) ^_^