Mike Leone on 4 Apr 2004 19:29:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Well, its official -- Sun is serious about being anti Linux and Open Source

William H. Magill (magill@mcgillsociety.org) had this to say on 04/04/04 at 01:27:
> On 02 Apr, 2004, at 14:45, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> >According to William H. Magill:
> >>The analysts on CNBC have been saying this is part and parcel of Sun's
> >>anti-Linux and anti-Open Source tactics. They also are talking about
> >>how long Sun will stay in business, some are guessing the end will
> >>come
> >>in 2005.
> >
> >I call no way.  Sun can't possibly implode that quickly, even in a
> >really hostile market.  (Which, granted, this is.)
>
> Sun has been SERIOUSLY dying now for something like the past 9 quarters
> -- the last time they showed a profit (when they made their FIRST round
> of layoffs.)

Wasn't Apple "seriously dying" a few years ago, and MS put some money into
them, too? And Apple is doing pretty well these days.

(yes, I know Apple is retail-oriented and Sun is not)

> Up until two months ago, Windows was strictly a 32 bit operating
> system. When Intel finally admitted that they screwed up and would
> provide a 64 bit chip for the desktop, the end of 32 bit Windows was
> decreed. Once there is no 32 bit Windows, the distinction between

That will be a LONG time away .. look how much of the Windows base is still
Win9x/WinME. Even in business desktops.