Thomas Thurman on 8 Apr 2004 23:36:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] wireless networks, web browsing, and forced pages

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 07:23:48PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> A correspondent asks:
> > When you go to a hotel or hotspot or generally somewhere where
> > you're renting an IP connection for X time, they often do annoying
> > things like redirect your browser to their web page periodically, or
> > to start, etc.  I've seen it happen even when the browser was in the
> > middle of loading a different page - it gets hijacked.
> >
> > My question is: how does that work? How do they do that? Is there a
> > way to defeat it?
>
> I have not found an adequate answer for him.  Anyone know how this
> works?  His interest concerns switching to a low-cost DSL provider
> that he is afraid may do such things.  (He could ask, of course, and
> he may agree in his contract with them not to subvert it.  But that's
> a different issue than how it's done.)

It wouldn't be too hard to put all outgoing port 80 traffic through a
transparent proxy, and then occasionally return HTTP redirects instead
of the requested page. (Evil, perhaps, but not too hard.)