sean finney on 9 Apr 2004 00:05:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] wireless networks, web browsing, and forced pages

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 07:23:48PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> > My question is: how does that work? How do they do that? Is there a
> > way to defeat it?
>
> I have not found an adequate answer for him.  Anyone know how this
> works?  His interest concerns switching to a low-cost DSL provider
> that he is afraid may do such things.  (He could ask, of course, and
> he may agree in his contract with them not to subvert it.  But that's
> a different issue than how it's done.)

generally, there are two ways i know of folks doing this.

1) stub dns servers.  basically, you pool clients into two categories
   (based on mac addresses typically).  the dhcp server gives the known
   clients the standard network configuration, and gives the unknown
   clients the same info except for the dns server, which is a different
   machine (or bind view for the bind9 servers) that resolves all ns
   queries to a single address.  so no matter where you go, you get
   their page and have to register/pay/authenticate/whatever.  of course,
   for the l33t h4x0rz this is easy to circumvent.

2) ip routing and a forced proxy.  a little harder to get around, they
   have funky arp or nat rules set up to rewrite packets and redirect them
   to their web server, unless you're going through their authenticated
   proxy.

there's probably more that i don't know about. if you're familiar with
a few network tools like ettercap/tcpdump/nmap/queso/nc you can usually
get an idea of what's going on.

	sean