Will Dyson on 12 Apr 2004 17:57:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Transparent X

McLinux wrote:
Hi All,

I was wondering if its possible to have transparent X Windows similar to that in Win32 GUI. Has anyone done anything like this before? Any issues? Can you point me to a location where I can find detailed information?

The answer is "sorta, depending on what x server you use". Specificly, the XDirectFB server supports translucency for toplevel windows. The link below describes ongoing work in creating a set of X extensions that would allow it to be done in any server that implents them.

http://freedesktop.org/Software/TranslucentWindows

Also, many toolkits support "fake transparency", where they grab an image of what is on the root window behind the window and make that the window background. This is how the translucent menus in KDE work.

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman