Paul on 15 Apr 2004 19:19:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] hello

Makai Smith wrote:

Still a bit mystified: can't get the sound card recognized, wondering
how to (or if) to go from vesa to a specific driver for my old ati card;
all these things and so much more in time and after a hundred hours on
Google :)

More info please. Distro, video card model, and what you are trying to accomplish by changing the driver. I'm assuming the card is in a PC. Example:

Red Hat 9.0
GeForce2 GTS
Installed nVIDIA's closed-source driver to enable accelerated video.

In the case of the nVIDIA card, all you have to do is download the driver file, execute it, and maybe modify XF86config to use the new driver. I haven't done it in a while, but I used to have to change a line specifying the "nv" OSS driver to the "nvidia" closed-source driver.

And the PLUG list...531 strong!

Wow, I thought the number was only a couple hundred. Judging by the number of people who actually post, only a dozen. That makes me self-conscious about my casual posts. Sorry.