Mike Leone on 16 Apr 2004 17:04:02 -0000

[PLUG] How to check bandwidth usage remotely via command-line?

Let's assume this situation:

I start a huge mother download (1.2G - yes, I said G :-), and then go to
work. I can SSH back into my home LAN, at which point I have command-line
only, no GUI.
 And I want to see what kind of transfer rates/bandwidth usage is happening
- has it slowed to a crawl? Is it perking along? Is it screaming? etc

I know I can do things like iconfig, etc. But that isn't gonna tell me
things like "480K bps current incoming", or whatever. Anybody know of a
Debian package, or Linux commands, that can estimate that for me?

(I can tell from the system response time that everything is slow. Just
would like to know how much bandwidth is being eaten up at any point in
time)