Mike Leone on 16 Apr 2004 20:24:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] How to check bandwidth usage remotely via command-line?

Matthew Ozor (mtozor@yahoo.com) had this to say on 04/16/04 at 13:45:
> I think he wants to monitor he download in real time
> if Im reading this right.
>
> How much is done, whats the transfer rate, time left,
> ect..
>
> Can you see current incoming and outgoing transfers
> from the command line and get there rate?

Exactly.

More generally - foret starting the huge download. I connect in via SSH. I
wanna know how much of my bandwidth is in use at the moment (perhaps I'm
receiving a big email; perhaps I'm allowing some large peer-to-peer sharing;
etc). I won't always know byte counts ahead of time.

I'd like to be able to see "Bandwidth in use = 480Kb" or whatever. Doesn't
have to be a percentage.