Magnus Hedemark on 20 Apr 2004 12:40:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] InformationWeek Article: Lack of Linux driver for onboard Intel soundcard = a "huge, gaping hole"

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Gregson Helledy wrote:

> I am truly amazed at what passes for journalism these days.
> I am even more amazed that they sent me a special email to tout
> this article:

While he finally did fess up as to what "XYZ" meant, he never went into
detail about his hardware configuration.  I don't know what he's got, but
sound has been working pretty well for me on a wide variety of hardware.
I have even ssh'd into my Sun Ultra 5 at home to freak my wife out by
playing MP3's through the built-in speaker when I know she's near it.

On the PC side, using relatively common hardware (new and old) I've had no
real problems with sound.  Ethernet (pardon me, GIGABIT ethernet) is
another story but sound "just works".

Just to test, I took one of our "standard" desktop machines at $WORK, an
HP d530u, and booted clusterKnoppix 2003-11-19.  Yep, as X11 was starting
I got the familiar startup sound.  Also works with RHEL 3.x and its
clones.  dmesg tells me I've got i810 audio in there.

Sounds like this guy is running some kind of exotic hardware, probably
with a very proprietary interface that isn't likely to be well supported
by anything Open Source or Free.