Tom Diehl on 24 Apr 2004 00:01:02 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Switching from Cable to DSL

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 11:26:03AM -0400, William H. Magill wrote:
> > I'm in Evergreen CO, and normally have "perfect" service -- at least
> > for periods of weeks at a time. (I run a monitor program
> > locally). Then they (Verizon) "upgrade" some piece of equipment in
> > the CO or do some other such thing and the line starts to flap --
> > outages of a minute or two every 10-90 minutes over the course of a
> > week or more ... sometimes severe flapping in a 2-4 hour period,
> > sometimes seriously random (to the point that without my monitor
> > program, I would not notice the flapping.)
>
> What monitor program do you use, Bill?

If you want something simple for your own use look at Big Brother (www.bb4.com).
The license is kinda weird but it is free for your own use. Get the btf version.
If you want something that is gpl'd look at nagios (nagios.org). It is a PITA
to setup but works well. There are pros and cons to either one and some people
make religious arguments for and against. I have used both (still do for that
matter) and I like the bb interface a lot better and IMO bb is a lot easier to
configure but since bb got bought out by qwest their support for the btf version
has been spotty at best.

HTH,

Tom