Paul on 22 Apr 2004 19:54:02 -0000

[PLUG] Switching from Cable to DSL

Here's the deal:
Free wireless router, after rebate. I think it's a Linksys.
1st month free, although I will have to pay shipping of the install kit.
Since I have a Verizon calling plan the cost after the first month will remain at $30 per month.

I had Telocity DSL a while back. All Telocity required was an Ethernet connection to the external DSL modem. The same is true for my current Comcast cable connection. The question is, what should I expect when switching to Verizon DSL? Will I need wacky PPPoE software?

Right now everything is routed through a GNU/Linux box acting as a firewall/router/wireless access point. (I was working on VPN for the wireless client.) I guess I wouldn't mind replacing the Linux box with a Linksys router. I'm just wondering, other than being less stable and not as fast as cable, is there anything else that I should be aware of before switching?