M.Simons on 22 Apr 2004 20:01:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Switching from Cable to DSL

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Paul wrote:
> Free wireless router, after rebate.  I think it's a Linksys.
> 1st month free, although I will have to pay shipping of the install kit.
> Since I have a Verizon calling plan the cost after the first month will
> remain at $30 per month.
>
> I had Telocity DSL a while back.  All Telocity required was an Ethernet
> connection to the external DSL modem.  The same is true for my current
> Comcast cable connection.  The question is, what should I expect when
> switching to Verizon DSL?  Will I need wacky PPPoE software?

Verizon IS PPPoE, however, if/since you are going to have an external
wireless router, which I assume the DSL hooks into after the dsl modem,
then you don't need to worry about your connection's end.  It will just be
straight ethernet to the router.  The router will handle the PPPoE.

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY www.michaelsimons.com
Need Stuff? Got Stuff?: Please Take Materials Exchange: www.pleasetake.org